Barnet is in an enviable location, with all the amenities and attractions of central London just 20 minutes away by public transport. It also acts as a gateway to the rest of England through the M1 motorway – which begins at Brent Cross in the south of the borough. Barnet is situated to the north west of the city, bordering Hertfordshire.
One of the biggest, but also one of the greenest, boroughs in the capital, it is both a desirable place to live and a popular spot with visitors to London. It boasts shopping attractions with the large centres at Brent Cross and The Spires, part of the world-famous Hampstead Heath, as well as the RAF Museum in Hendon.
Barnet is also home to the famous Saracens Rugby Team who have their home stadium, Allianz Park, in the west of the Borough and is home to league two Barnet Football Club.
Barnet is the largest of London’s 33 boroughs by population and fourth largest by size. The borough is very diverse; its ethnic minority population (BAME) is estimated between 2014/21 to rise making up 42% of Barnet's population. It is the second most religiously diverse borough in the country and there is a well established Jewish population. Barnet is generally prosperous but does include some pockets of deprivation, particularly in the West of the borough.
Barnet’s overall population in 2018, is estimate by GLA to be 397,000.
Working in Barnet
- 30 days annual leave, plus public and bank holidays
- Good work-life balance opportunities
- Generous Local Government Pension Scheme External link
- Interest free season travel ticket loan
- Car leasing scheme where you can purchase a new car at a reduced cost
- Relocation package where applicable
- Enhanced maternity, adoption and paternity pay
- Childcare voucher scheme, salary sacrifice scheme
- Corporate rates for membership of Better Leisure External link
- New offices in Colindale regeneration area at the heart of Barnet communities with good public transport links
- Access to a wide range of retail, travel and holiday discounts and offers and health plans through Employee Benefit system
- Occupational Health advice/Health and Wellbeing Programme
- Employee Wellbeing Hub
- Employee Assistance Programme
Facts and Figures